Saturday, November 7, 2009

Brainwashed

That's right. James has officially brainwashed me. Growing up, I loved watching UT play with my dad. I loved going to a game 1-2 times per season, and wearing orange every Saturday in the fall. Since marrying James, all things related to Tennessee football are much different. On game days when we are not going to the game, all plans are made according to what channel the game comes on, where we will watch it, what we will eat while we watch, etc. James is not an early riser for three seasons out of the year. But during the fall, he somehow manages to roll out of bed by 9am in order to watch College Gameday on ESPN. On Saturdays when we are able to go to the game, it is a day-long affair regardless of what time kick-off is. If it happens to be in Knoxville, we must be there in time for the Vol Walk and to see the band "Salute the Hill". And we do not leave until the game is over. Ever. As James says, "We have to stay for the losses so we can enjoy the victories." Blah. Blah. Blah.

So now about the brainwashing. Tonight, James is with Michael Cook and Heath Rogers in Tunica. I just talked to him and he is enjoying lots of delicious food, calories, and sticks of butter at the Paula Deen Buffet. I am at home. Watching the game. By myself. Not that unusual. What is unusual is that a few minutes ago, I logged onto Volquest, the rivals.com website for UT sports. And I read the message board. This is the third time I have done that ever, all three times occurring this season. Earlier in the game, Eric Berry had an interception. He needs just a few more yards after an interception to set a record. He didn't set it with that one, but when he ran off the field he got a hug from his head coach. And I got the chills. Later, Nukeese Richardson, a true freshman, scored his 1st collegiate touchdown. I got chills again because last week there were rumors he was homesick and wanted to return to Florida.

I don't know if the brainwashing can be undone. I am afraid it is too late. But I do hope that it doesn't worsen. You will know it has if I give in to naming a future child after any current/former UT players. Please plan an intervention if this happens.

Next weekend, James and I are going to Oxford with his parents and brother to see the Vols play the Rebels. I am very excited about visiting the fine southern town of Oxford, and also hoping I get to see the Vols win big. Pics to come of this outing next weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I was laughing so hard! I just kept reading out your blog to Jason. It's amazing what we do/learn for love! I was the same way before Jason...liked sports but didn't LOVE it. My dad loves it now b/c his daughter actually sits, watches, and talks sports!!! My knowledge has grown tremendously in the last 11 years! Had so much fun this weekend! Love you!

    ReplyDelete