Saturday, December 19, 2009

Highlights of the Lowcountry

James and I left for Charleston Thursday after I got off work. His interview was Friday morning at Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC). It was rainy in Charleston Friday, but I was determined not to sit in the hotel room. Luckily, James had not worn his rain jacket to his interview, so I put it on and headed to King Street to try to finish up some Christmas shopping. Needless to say, I was totally soaked four hours later when I made it back to the hotel. After finding some drier clothes, James and I headed to the mall as outdoor activities were not possible. It poured the entire afternoon and there was lots of flash flooding. We went to Sullivan's Island for dinner and our waitress advised us not to return downtown, but instead to go to the Isle of Palms, see a late movie and then go back downtown at midnight. When we left the restaurant it was no longer raining, so we did what she told us not to do and headed to Charleston. Fortunately we made it back downtown, shortly before they closed the roads. There was a break in the rain, so we went out in search of dessert. Many places had closed early because of the rain (this was similar to a "snow day" in Nashville), but we did find some delicious birthday cake ice cream at Hyman's General Store that tasted strangely like Funfetti cake. James won a $25 gift certificate and we returned Saturday night for dinner and more Funfetti ice cream :).

On Saturday we went to The Sanctuary on Kiawah Island for breakfast at the Jasmine Porch. It is the best breakfast buffet I have ever had and much easier to enjoy when wearing elastic waist maternity jeans :). James and I each enjoyed made-to-order omelets (his with shrimp and crab meat and mine with peppers and mushrooms) along with fresh fruit, French toast, grits, and biscuits and gravy. We walked around Kiawah a little while before heading back to Charleston for the Christmas market, more shopping, and dinner at Hyman's.

We are planning on attending a cooking demo class at Charleston Cooks on Sunday and hopefully a carriage ride (a touristy thing we have never done here). More to come later on the class and carriage ride.

Special thanks to James' parents for our luxurious lodging and my parents for their SkyMiles :).

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog! Sorry it rained for y'all in Charleston. No fun when it does that in the winter. During the warmer months, people kayak or canoe down streets--it's wild! Hope it went well, I'd love for y'all to be there so I could see you when I go home!

    ReplyDelete